The Operations Staff will enforce the Three Strike Rule when any of the following rules are violated and will result in termination from the convention grounds. If necessary, the proper authorities will be contacted depending on the severity of the misconduct.
- All attendees must respect themselves, others, and the convention grounds by abiding the Metro Toronto Convention Centre Rules;
- No verbal, physical, and/or cyber aggression
- No damaging any MTCC property or vandalizing;
- No foul, insulting, racial, inappropriate language and behaviour;
- Bicycles, skateboards, scooters or similar devices are not permitted on convention grounds;
- Assistance animals only (please see policies below);
- No sexual misconduct, harassment, and inappropriate touching;
- No indecent exposure (please see policies below);
- Engaging in any activities against Ontario Laws and Regulations;
- Distribution of merchandise(s) or printed material without the consent of International Fan Festival Toronto President.
Convention Policies and Regulations
Alcohol Consumption Alcohol consumption is strictly prohibited. All participants are required to be sober while attending the convention. Staff and volunteers are given the right to deny attendee entry to the convention if they appear to have had prior consumption of alcohol. Anyone found to be suspicious of intoxication at the convention will be asked to leave the premises. Repeated violations of the alcohol consumption policy at the convention may result in confiscation of the violator’s pass. Animals No animals are allowed with the exception of assistance animals – these animals must be leashed and wear its harness. Any attendee with an assistance animal must be prepared to show their Guide Animal Certificate. Appearance, Costumes, Cosplays and Props International Fan Festival Toronto is an event that is open to the public of all ages. Those who do not obey the following will be asked to change, leave the convention area and/or subject to the Three Strike penalty.
- Passes must be visible on costumes at all times. If an attendees’ pass is not shown, they must be prepared to show their pass to a staff or volunteer upon request;
- For safety concerns, all attendees are required to wear footwear (no socks or bare feet) on convention grounds;
- Costumes must not be of harm to the public; this can/may include: sharp and pointy objects, hazardous and harmful materials, large obstructing objects, etc. Please see our Weapons Policy for more details and for Peace Bonding information;
- No indecent exposure. Any see-through material on any private area is strictly prohibited, and please ensure that your cosplay is securely intact;
- Use discretion on cosplay content. International Fan Festival Toronto has the right to ask attendees to change/leave if their cosplay is deemed inappropriate or offensive;
- It is recommended that all attendees dress appropriately for the weather (rain, shine, temperature) on convention days. Washrooms are available for changing if necessary.
- Yaoi paddles are not to be permitted in convention grounds.
- Carrying signs that solicit services such as “Free Hugs” and “Will kiss for Pocky!” are not permitted and will be confiscated.
Please note that a coat check will be available for those needing a place to store their belongings. Food According to MTCC bylaw, All food and beverage items must be supplied and prepared by MTCC’s Food & Beverage Department. This includes bottled water.No food, beverage or alcohol will be permitted to be brought into or removed from MTCC’s facility by the licensee or any of the licensee’s guests or invitees without the written approval of the Food & Beverage Department; this includes any “food sponsorship” and/or “food vendors” within the premises. Guest Etiquette and Autographs Please respect the privacy and personal space of all guests, as well as to those waiting to see the guest. Not all guests may want their pictures taken, so please ask for permission before doing so. Any misconduct will be subjected to the Three Strike Penalty. Harassment and Assault All attendees are asked to treat all participants, staff and volunteers with dignity and respect. Staff and volunteers will be attentive to anyone participating in harassment or assault and preserve the right to ask in-compliant attendees to leave the premises while confiscating passes. Harassment and assault consists of but is not limited to the following:
- Physical assault or abuse;
- Unwelcomed comments about a person’s appearance, age, religion, race or sex;
- Anything that induces embarrassment, endanger a person’s safety, or demoralize other’s sense of self-worth;
- Undesired physical contact;
- Provocative actions to encourage negative and hostile environments
Attendees should not hesitate to ask staff or volunteers for assistance if they feel or see others uncomfortable due to harassment or danger of assault. Illegal Substances Attendees found in possession of illegal substances will be detained, have their passes revoked and reported to authorities. Merchandise Any items that are purchased inside or outside International Fan Festival Toronto can be placed at the Coat Check, or an alternate safe location (eg. hotel room, car). International Fan Festival Toronto will not be responsible for any lost or stolen items. While weapons (such as yaoi paddles) may be available for purchase in the vendor’s area, they are to be:
- Stored at the seller’s booth until designated time for volunteer or staff to walk the buyers and merchandises off the premises or to be stored in coat check;
- Peace bonded by A.S.T. Staff;
- Not used/engaged in any activity.
For more information on Weapons, please see our Weapons Policy. Passes Passes should be treated as cash! International Fan Festival Toronto will not be held responsible for lost, stolen or damaged passes. The passes must be visible at all times throughout the convention and all attendees must prepare to show them to any staff or volunteer upon request. Passes are NON-TRANSFERABLE and NON-REFUNDABLE – All sales are final – No exceptions. Sharing a badge is NOT PERMITTED and will be subject to immediate confiscation. All staff has the right to question any suspicious (damaged, marked, obscure, or illegible), and/or potential counterfeits and it will be held for inspection. Any passes that are found counterfeit will be confiscated, and its holder banned from the premises. Please note that any VIP that do not show up 10 minutes before panel/event will forfeit their rights to the priority seating. All attendees are required to have a government issued ID (ON ID, driver’s license, passport… etc.) with them at all times. Go-Cards and other school identification are eligible as at-con identification and pass pick up as long as the picture is clear and is used in conjunction with a OHIP Card or a legible photocopy version of your birth certificate (both pieces of identification must match in name). Bus passes are not eligible as at-con identification or for pass pick up. Photography and Video Some events may not allow photos or video recordings. Please confirm with the panel/event coordinator prior to taking any photos and recordings. We ask all attendees to obtain consent and be courteous before taking any pictures of any guests, and other cosplayers/attendees. Sleeping in MTCC No sleeping in the convention area. Smoking Please note that the MTCC and immediate surrounding outdoor areas are smoke-free, in accordance with Ontario law. Substance Abuse Substance abuse is defined as an overindulgence in or dependence on an addictive substance. Identification of potentially harmful levels of legal substance abuse will result in warnings. Repeated disregard for warnings will result in either confiscation of the substance or convention access restriction. Theft All staff and volunteers will be attentive to thefts. Attendees are asked to please pay close attention to their own belongings and avoid bringing unnecessary valuables. International Fan Festival Toronto is not liable for losses due to theft. Any persons caught in the act of theft will be reported to the authorities and banned from convention grounds.
Three Strikes Penalty / Warnings System
1st Strike or Warning: The attendee is given a strict warning to cease whatever rule breach or inappropriate action immediately (including any violation of the weapon rules above). Any Staff Member or supervisors may give a strike or warning and mark the attendee badge once. 2nd Strike or Warning: When a second strike or warning is issued, only Supervisors and Executives may mark the badge the second time and issue the second warning. 3rd Strike or Warning (Final Strike): The attendee is given a strict warning to cease whatever action they were doing that caused the strike or warning, immediately. Upon the decision of International Fan Festival Toronto Executive Staff Member they may mark the attendee’s badge a third time and revoke it. (A serious violation of the weapons rules may result in a 3rd strike on a first offense) The Executive Member will talk to and inform the attendee why he is having his badge revoked and informed that he must leave the convention immediately. The attendee will be escorted out of the convention and off convention grounds.